Saturday, 21 February 2015

Lesson 6-Alltogether-working on the last bit

Cabinet of Curiosities 

This lesson focused on preparing the whole year group piece for cabinet of curiosities and our interaction with the audience.

This part of the performance was involved the audience answering questions and us responding to it as a year group.(similar to rein-acting their answer)
What i discovered was that when the answers to the questions were given,we responded literally whereas we should responded to the different qualities.
for example if paint was an answer most people would glide like paint or be a paint brush however we should dig deeper and show the physicality of different types of paint like red could be acted as dark and sad whereas yellow can be acted as happy with loads of energy.

Preparation for accessing the work
As I've learnt it's always best to process yourself into what your going to do.I believe it gives the person and better and deeper understanding of what they're doing and also this effects the outcome of the work.
We started by focusing our breathing as this is central to preparing yourself mentally and physically.It relaxes you. 'If you have a quiet mind and a relaxed body, it makes sense that you also will have a quiet and relaxed breath. Everything goes hand-in-hand. Quieting the mind can be the most difficult thing anyone (actor or not) can do. What happens to the body and the breath when you let your mind wander? Your body tenses up and your breath gets ragged' 
The next step was to feel you body move by doing this you can explore different movements of your body.
The step was to get into partners a show something under a given title without speaking.An example would be when we were asked to show when we were most happiest.At first i found this hard as i wanted to to discuss with my partner when i was most happiest and when she was most happiest so we could create something with our physicality. I realised for this to work I shouldn't approach this task in a literal way but show an abstract version involving different aspects of when I as most happiest. This should also involve responding to my partner and their happiness. During this I automatically had a lot of rhythm and was very upbeat so I could reflect my happiness. This helped us with instinctual responses to the given tasks. We also explored spatial proximity
Transition
After warming up our minds and bodies i found it easy transitioning into doing the big group piece which i mentioned involved the whole class.
Our preliminary idea was that we all respond at the same time as a class however each response looked similar and it resembled aspects similar to a mosh pit/rave.As a group it was important that each each response was personalised and different from the one before.
The second idea was the one person from the class responds to begin then everyone else follows their lead when the timing is right.I felt that doing this it made each piece different and we collaborated better as a group.I felt that a more organic and more sophisticated piece was made.

Group piece qualities for success
For this section to be a success their are certain qualities which should be used to make this an intriguing piece of work to watch.
Below our my top five
1) make discoveries ,explore the space your working in and make discoveries within the audiences answers. Can you discover a little deeper?
2)Swallow and revive the energy of others.respond and work with others in the room to create something beautiful and unique.Don't be the one who acts lazy and decides to hang around in the background without putting in a lot of effort.
3)Interpret and release. Everyone's interpretation of the answer may be different however don't make what your doing be so individualised that u stand out from what the others are doing.
4)Be aware of others but also work to the limit.It's easy to get so emotionally and physically involved with this section that you don't realise your own strength and you end up hurting others.So make sure your work to the best of your ability but also look out for others around you as your a company and it isn't a one man show.
5)Let it be truthful.What you create should be organic and instinctual. Try.Try to create something which isn't to impress anyone.


What does it feel like to be in the response to questions piece?

At times it was very claustrophobic as everyone was getting very physical with each other and it did get violent at points accidentally. It felt similar to a mosh pit as people were pushing. From the outside it may of looked creative and I think it was a great concept however it was very uncomfortable.


Sources for information
https://www.theatrefolk.com/spotlights/just-breathe-breathing-exercises-for-student-actors#breathing-for-relaxation

How I felt about the cuts
It's sad that this part got cut as it was an very imaginative and would of definitely immersed the audience into a place which they don't usually experience.Unfortunately there's not much i can take from this as it is cut however this showed me how to work as an ensemble physically while also keeping myself safe from injury.

As a side note.My piece includes different font of writing. This is because I copied it from something I wrote on word and it wouldn't change font once I copied it over. I can prove this is my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment